This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snow

Due to the blizzard forecast, I stayed home from work today. The forecast was for 12-18 inches of snow, but there's only 4-5 inches on the ground as of 2pm. I probably could have gone to work.

If you forecast 12 inches and there's only 6 inches, there's no outrage. If you forecast 6 inches and it turns out there's 18 inches, then people will be very angry.

Also, "OMFG! It's going to snow 12-18 inches!" is a much better news headline than "OMFG! It's going to snow 6 inches!"

Mainstream media coverage of a blizzard is legitimate news. It's a story that affects almost everyone. Cynically, that lends the illusion of legitimacy to fake news. The announcers use the same tone of voice when they say "OMFG! It's snowing!" as when they say "OMFG! Obama gave a speech!"

This story had a bit that made me say "WTF?" Federal government offices in Washington D.C. are closed due to the blizzard.

But the effects of the federal government's closure were negligible since about 85 percent of federal employees work outside the Washington region. An IRS spokeswoman said tax returns should not be affected.
How did we make the transition from "It's snowing!" to "Remind the slaves to pay their tribute!" How did that bit make it into the story?

It's nice to get a day off. However, as a contract/consultant I don't get paid.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.