This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lotus Notes Sucks!

At my current wage slave job, they use Lotus Notes as their E-Mail client, a really old version. This has been my second job where I was forced to use it.

I noticed that you can tell a lot about a corporate bureaucracy just from the choice of E-Mail client.

I can't imagine anyone voluntarily using Lotus Notes. It's like someone decided "Hey! Let's make an E-Mail client that's worse than Outlook!"

I haven't seen any E-Mail client better than gmail. The good part about gmail is that its anti-spam filter has very few false positives and very few false negatives. When I get my own domain and a Linode, I'm undecided about using gmail or just running my own mailserver.

9 comments:

BroadSnark said...

I thought my org was the only one left on earth that used Lotus. Makes me crazy!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about Lotus Notes! As for your own domain, I used to run my own mail server...it was fun and educational for a while, but I've since switched to Gmail...it's easy, works well and is much less of a drain on my time than running my own email server.

Anonymous said...

Ha! A friend of mine once said you can tell a workplace is lousy if they use Lotus Notes.

Indeed he was correct.

FSK said...

My current coworkers are decent. That may change with the new boss. There is a ridiculously high amount of bureaucracy.

I had to get approval from 10(!) people to get the Microsoft SQL Server GUI client installed on my desktop.

I'm leaning towards using gmail. The advantage is the great anti-spam filter. I'll probably pay the $50/yr for the premium version.

If I want to send E-Mail to someone via PHP, do I need my own mailserver, or can I use gmail?

CorkyAgain said...

I want to work somewhere where everyone uses mutt.

Beware the Google octopus!

Anonymous said...

Try getting a Godaddy Linux hosting account. They bundle server-side PHP for free.

gilliganscorner said...

Too funny, FSK.

...corporate bureaucracy just from the choice of E-Mail client.

I have contracted to IT companies for 10+ years and I think you are on to something.

Every company that used Notes as email had their IT outsourced to IBM. IBM owns Notes. Perhaps it is no coincidence. ;)

"IBM: Where careers go to die."
"Lotus Notes: Email was an afterthought."

gilliganscorner said...


If I want to send E-Mail to someone via PHP, do I need my own mailserver, or can I use gmail?


Oh, FSK, you might want to give libgmailer a spin:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmail-lite/

Anonymous said...

"At my current wage slave job, they use Lotus Notes as their E-Mail client, a really old version. This has been my second job where I was forced to us"

I don't use Notes, but your comment here makes your point have little validity - if you are running a "really old version", it's not a fair comparison

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.