This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Buying a Soda for -$0.65!

I had an amusing experience. I bought a soda for $1.35, paying with two $1 Federal Reserve Notes. As part of my change, I got a 35% silver 1945 nickel!

I noticed right away it was silver, based on the tarnish of the coin. I sometimes get pre-1964 junk silver in change in a store. I already knew that WWII nickels had silver, due to a wartime shortage of nickel. I hadn't expected to actually see one in circulation.

Actually, the melt value of the coin is only $1, making the post title wrong. However, it probably has a numismatic value in addition to the melt value.

It feels good to buy something with slave points and get real money in change! I noticed that I find a few "junk silver" coins per year. It's easy to notice the worn-out coin and the silver tarnish.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.