This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Saturday, July 23, 2011

50 Hour Workweek

I saw a post elsewhere on "Unions and the 40 hour workweek".

I realized that's a lie, even if your job only requires 40 hours a week of work.

Why? You have to add commuting time. If you spend 2 hours per day commuting, then you have a 10 hour workday and not 8 hours.

Also, most employers don't pay for lunchtime anymore. Add another half hour per day.

Most Americans *NO LONGER* have a 40 hour workweek. A lot of jobs demand 45 or 50 hours. You should add commuting time. You should add unpaid lunch breaks. Many jobs demand more than 40 hours per week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had jobs which at times required 55 - 65 hour working weeks. This meant that I had to come into work on a weekend and work from early afternoon to the early hours of the morning. At the time I had to pay for a mini-cab to take me home because the trains had stopped running.

I was a recent graduate at the time and given my meague wage I would have been better off not working and being on welfare benefits!

One client phoned my manager late in the week which meant I had to work yet another weekend. Ditto for the next week.

My reward was to have my manager forget my pay review. When I reminded him, he told me I was underpaid and I would get a big pay rise.

Well the pay rise had to be approved by the company chief. He sat on it for months and then turned it down.

The first client I did work for told several people at work how much time my work had saved them and how fast my code executed compared to similar tasks.

It is a pity I didn't work direct for the first client.

Instead I worked for money grabbing clowns.

Effectively for my hard work and attention to detail, the managers blew a nasty raspberry in my face.

It is one thing to do a lousy wage. It is worse to have a lousy wage, be told you will get a big pay rise and then have to wait months for it to be turned down!

These clowns are so wealthy they just have no empathy.

I didn't get a low wage. I was ripped off.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that workers have to pay to get to and from work. This money comes after their income has already been taxed!

It is quite common to spend 1000 - 3000 UK pounds to travel to and from work. Even if you just travel from one London address to another London address you are at least spending 1200 pounds a year. And this is NOT tax deductible.

FSK said...

In NYC, you can get "transit checks", paying for your subway fare with pre-tax dollars. Unfortunately, my pimp doesn't give them.

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.