This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Trans Fat Ban

I liked this article on the Liberty Papers. California barred trans fats from restaurants and bakeries.


Under the new law, trans fats, long linked to health problems, must be excised from restaurant products beginning in 2010, and from all retail baked goods by 2011. Packaged foods will be exempt.

In other words, this law is entirely corporate welfare. Food manufactured in large factories is exempt from the ban. Local bakeries can make fresh food and are competitive with corporate food. This ban cripples their business.

There was a trans fat ban in the city where I live. I noticed that the cakes and cookies in the local bakery suddenly started tasting lousy. It correlated with the date of the ban. If the local bakery is barred from making food that tastes good, I might as well buy the corporate food. (Since then, the quality improved. They must have found a better compliant recipe.)

Why does the State have the right to ban trans fats? If the ban is so wonderful, then why not let the free market decide. In the USA, there is no longer any pretense of a free market.

How do I know that the science backing the trans fat ban is genuine? How do I know this scientific conclusion isn't entirely fabricated? There aren't any independent scientists that I can trust to perform the research. For example, scientists have proven that antipsychotic and antidepressant drugs are beneficial. I know from personal experience that is wrong. How do I know that other science touted by mainstream media sources isn't just as wrong?

The State-licensed custodians of science have been completely corrupted. I don't trust any of their conclusions.

Paradoxically, I enjoy seeing new stupid laws. They restrict my freedom in the present. However, these stupid laws also increase my potential profit when I start actively working as an agorist.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.