This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

More Disease Thoughts

I decided to skip my medication today. This is the first time I had the opportunity to do so since my release from the hospital.

Even though it's been only 30 minutes since my normal poisoning time, I already feel great!

I think that going 100% medication-free is still my best option, even though it hasn't worked for me in the past. I've learned a lot about myself through my illness, and I think I can avoid a relapse, although that's what I said last time.

A surprising amount of advice was "stay away from the drugs". I was expecting a more mixed response.

After careful analysis, I've come to the conclusion that the "chemical imbalance" theory of mental illness is complete bullshit. Many of the symptoms of mental illness are themselves caused by the drugs that "treat" such illness.

I've decided that 100% medication free is going to be my treatment plan. The hard part is overcoming the objections of my parents and doctors, who are uniformly saying I should be doped into complete submission.

2 comments:

Tristan said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say its bullshit.
The problem is the brain is so immensely complicated that we can't tell exactly whats wrong. It could be there's several different things which cause the same symptoms in different people for instance.

I'd say mental illness has a component which is due to 'wiring' being out, which involves the chemicals in the brain.

Personally I suspect that where drugs help they will act more as a splint and hold things in a better position allowing 'rewiring' to take place over time, often in many mental conditions assisted by non-drug therapies.

The problem with drugs is they act broadly, so whilst a drug may reduce the symptoms, they have wider, undesirable, effects (a famous example being Prozac causes spontaneous random orgasms in a small minority of cases).

My favourite analogy is to liken drugs to trying to fix a computer by poking it at random and altering voltages... You can get an idea for what often works but you don't really know why...

Anyway, I hope your course of action works for you. You know your situation far better than any of us.

Kevin Carson said...

You might consider taking several grams daily of Omega-3s, specifically fish oil caps (and cut way down on Omega-6s, while you're at it). Omega-3s are essential to mental functioning and balance, and Omega-3 intake went down at the same time as the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 acids went way, WAY up in the processed American diet. I believe more than one study has shown that violence and behavioral problems in prison decrease dramatically when inmates are given Omega-3 supplements. A trace mineral supplement might also be good, since American soil has been stripped of micronutrients.

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.