This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Banish Annoying People From Your Life

On freedomain, he has a very interesting philosophy. He says that if a relationship with someone is unhealthy, you should stop interacting with them if you have better alternatives.

I'm the sort of person who feels guilty about that sort of thing, but it is sometimes necessary. I have a hard time meeting new people, so I tend to stick with the people I already know. Similarly, if a job isn't working out, it's best to try something else. This also applies on the Internet. If your interactions with a website, discussion forum, or blog make you feel bad about yourself, you should stop visiting it. Of course, on the Internet, exercising your right to leave is a lot easier than with personal relationships or with jobs.

For example, my experiences with editing Wikipedia led to frustration when professional trolls were preventing me from including certain information. My policy now is that I refuse to edit Wikipedia. I will use it as a reference, aware of its shortcomings.

Someone else wrote in a comment once "Why do you still work for large corporations? You should work as a true anarchist/agorist?" The corporate community can afford to pay me about $40/hour after taxes. In the anarchist/agorist community, so far, I have not found any viable alternatives. I'm not going to work for $5/hour or less, just to stop supporting the state. I should be able to simultaneously pursue my self-interest and work against the state. For now, I'm working for free in my blog, and working in a corporate job. When the anarchist/agorist community is advanced enough to hire me at a decent rate, that's when I'll work there. Besides, as long as my corporate job is a complete and utter waste of time, I can do it without feeling guilty that I'm creating wealth for the bad guys to confiscate!

I will stop supporting the state completely, as soon as there's a viable alternative. I would love to be able to banish the state from my life, but that's not realistic at this time.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.