This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Monday, March 24, 2008

FSK Asks - Should I Use Post Labels?

Other blogs attach "labels" to their posts. I haven't been doing this, considering it a waste of my time. I'm not concerned about SEO (search engine optimization). My PageRank is gradually increasing over time as more people link to my blog. As my "body of posts" gets bigger, more searches are hitting my blog. So far, "word of mouth" has been better for attracting new regular readers than "search", although it's hard to measure from Google Analytics. (Google Analytics doesn't let me filter my regular readership list by how they first found my blog. That's one advantage of self-hosting over using Blogger; better user statistics.)

Should I attach "labels" to my posts? I'm currently not doing it, because I think it's a waste of my time. People can already do "site:fskrealityguide.blogspot.com" Google searches if they want to search my blog for specific content. Blogger also supports a "search blog" feature. There's a little textbox in the upper-left corner that can be used for search. I can tell people are using it based on Google Analytics' reports.

It's easy enough to search my blog. Post labels are redundant and a waste of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Labels can be a useful way for people to filter feeds. For example, if a blogger likes to write posts about politics, his favorite sports team, and his favorite TV show, and he uses the labels "politics", "sports", "TV" then if I only care about the political stuff, I can filter the blog's RSS feed to exclude the posts with the "sports" and "TV" labels, and thereby not have to be bothered by the posts I don't care about.

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.