This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.



Your Ad Here

Monday, February 4, 2008

Reader Mail #31

I liked this quote from BradSpangler.com:

“Frankly, to admit to being ‘inspired’ by politicians is a lot like confessing that your nipples get hard when you watch a mugger kick a victim bloody in the gutter.” — J.D. Tuccille



I liked this post on Check Your Premises. As an anarchist, you prefer to see the government as small as possible. On the other hand, the bigger the government gets, the more inefficient it gets. Do you prefer a small government, or a big government that's close to collapse?

Of course, I prefer small government or no government. Sometimes, I wonder if it's necessary to get a big and bloated government before progress will occur.



I liked this post on Overcoming Bias. In American comics, a superhero gets his powers first, and then fights crime out of boredom. In Japanese comics, you only develop super-powers due to a desire to protect or fight something.

For example, you can't just say "I want a good blog." If you say "The State is evil! We need to do something about that!" Then, you can have a good blog.

I don't have an (IMHO) good blog just to have one. I have a specific point and enemy I want to defend myself from.



I liked this post from the Picket Line:

As Alexander Haig, U.S. Secretary of State said in 1982: “Let them march all they want, as long as they continue to pay their taxes.”

As long as you pay income taxes, all other forms of political protest are pointless. Under the current economic system, you cannot work without supporting the government and the bad guys.



This post on Tranachism was slightly inaccurate. Due to the Compound Interest Paradox, the supply of money *MUST* grow exponentially. However, since money is just a number printed on a piece of paper, this growth CAN continue indefinitely.

The real failure of the economic system occurs when people switch to alternate monetary systems.



I liked this post on the Liberty Papers. Should organ donors be allowed to be paid for their donation? Why not have a true free market in organ donations, rather than the current "waiting list" system.



redpillguy has left a new comment on your post "Illness Details":

How do we know you haven't been kidnapped, and someone is posing as you pretending to be mentally ill to discredit everything you've written? ;)

That is, of course, the Strawman Fallacy.

Unfortunately, my "illness" is all too real. I've decided that I'm going to refuse drugs again. Hopefully, I will be able to avoid relapsing this time.

Kimochi has left a new comment on your post "Psychiatrist Visit":

That's a shame that it didn't work out the way you wanted. Can you chop the medication yourself? Or, is it all or nothing at this point?

The problem with doing it that was is that it's impossible to get refills. I'll save the pills I have in case I feel a relapse. Otherwise, I'm going to try and "live clean".

My psychiatrist was adamant. He wants me to take a full lethal dose of lithium or Depakote. My experience with lithium and anti-psychotic drugs has been *HORRIBLE*.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Water Powered Cars and Zero Point Energy":

There's an explanation for the magnet vs. electromagnet experiment. First of all, in the 2 magnet case, when there is no vertical motion, there is no work done and no energy expended.

In the case of the electromagnet, the current flowing produces magnetic force, and the current flowing through the wire's resistance also burns power in the form of heat. This is unrelated to the energy balance of the magnet.

As the battery gets weaker, the magnetic force generated by the electromagnet gets weaker, thus the magnet's equilibrium position becomes lower and lower. The change in potential energy due to gravity is actually transferred to the electromagnet circuit. In fact if there were no battery but instead the electromagnet is short circuited, the falling magnet is slowed down (a consequence of Lenz's law), and the potential energy from gravity is converted into a current that flows in the electromagnet's wire as the magnet drops, converted to heat. No violations of energy balance here.

This is the principle used in "eddy current brakes", which are used in elevators, for example.

I don't understand what you're saying. In either case, you have two motionless magnets, so no work should be performed. Why should the electromagnet vs. permanent magnet cases be different? A permanent magnet appears to tap a power source that electromagnets normally ignore.

Anyway, it would take me 5-10 years of research to develop useful zero point energy technology, and there's no guarantee I would succeed. Other things are a more efficient use of my time, for now.

CK has left a new comment on your post "A List of Harmful Drugs I've Been Given":

This is strictly anectdotal, not proof. We had lots of niggling sicknesses for years. Finally we gave up everything we could that used High Fructose Corn Syrup for sweetening. Within a few weeks, we noticed that the niggling sicknesses stopped. I have always hated having to read the fine print on food labels, but it is now a habit, if a food product uses HFCS, it doesn't receive our money.
Our niggling sicknesses were not panic attacks, so maybe this was a worthless anectdote, just something we found made us healthier.
At one time I tried to quit cigarettes using a combination of the patch and welburtrin. I had the same results from ( Zyban ) welburtin that you had from the various lethargy inducing drugs you mentioned. Horrid feeling indeed. Luckily I have since discovered that people who smoke have significantly lowered risks of Parkinsons and ALzheimers. So I traded guaranteed smoker's hack for potential uncontrollable shakes and memory loss.


I can't stand those lethargy inducing drugs. That's the primary reason I'm boycotting anti-psychotic drugs.

Do I want to spend the rest of my life in a drugged-up stupor, just to guarantee I won't have another panic attack?

I should work on improving my diet.

redpillguy has left a new comment on your post "A List of Harmful Drugs I've Been Given":

In my previous comment about the link to a vid about the "policeman inside your head", I apologize that I forgot to say beforehand "on another topic...". I should have put it as a comment to your earlier post about the "policemen insider your head" where it belonged.

On mental illness. I remember reading something about an animal nutritionist finding that feeding large amounts of certain nutrients (minerals IIRC) solved a problem of pigs "going nuts". He then fed it to his kids or nephews with some kind of mental illness and there was a dramatic improvement. A psychiatrist got interested and did a small study and found similar results. The animal nutritionist kept the recipe a secret and started selling it.

The theory behind this is (a)the pigs sometimes don't get the right necessary nutrients from the feedstock (b) some forms of mental illness may be due to a metabolic defect wherein the body cannot process normal amounts of certain critical nutrients necessary for brain function, and this is greatly helped by megadoses of said nutrients.

Here is one link I was able to dig up. You'll have to dig more:

http://www.ect.org/selfhelp/bipolcomm.html

If I were you I'd find out if the animal guy still sells this product and first try that, instead of trying out different supplements.


My parents found something similar in the store. I took one pill and it already appears to have helped a lot.

Some people say that there is a dietary basis to mental illness.

Yes, it does help if you post your comments in reference to the correct post.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Coins vs. Rounds":

The whole idea that the State imposes its paper currency on the whole society as 'legal tender' is absolutely 'theft' and robbery.

That's true. That's really no news at all to someone who's a regular reader of my blog.

Paper money can work if the issuing authority is trustworthy. I don't consider the Federal Reserve to be a trustworthy issuing authority.

No comments:

This Blog Has Moved!

My blog has moved. Check out my new blog at realfreemarket.org.